Utah Lawyer Stephen Howard
Call Utah Estate Planning Attorney
Call Utah Wills Trusts Lawyer
Utah Attorney Stephen W. Howard - Call 801-449-1409
Estate Planning Solutions Start HereSM
Utah Attorney Stephen Howard - Canyons Law Group

Estate Planning Solutions Start HereSM
Attorney for Last Will and Testament in UtahUtah Family Trust LawyerUtah Advance Health Care Directive Salt Lake Davis WeberUtah Guardianship Attorney Salt Lake Weber DavisUtah Attorney for Revocable Living TrustsUtah Estate Planning Attorneys Salt Lake Davis WeberUtah Probate Attorneys Salt Lake Weber DavisUtah Family Law Attorney Salt Lake Davis Weber

Do I need a will in Utah if I have children but am not married?

A person who has minor children has important reasons to make a last will and testament, whether or not the person is married. A person who dies without a will is considered to have died intestate. Utah's intestate succession laws provide that upon the death of a person who is not married but has children, the person's estate will pass to his "descendants" - typically, his children. (It is important to understand if parents were not married, the children will not inherit from their father under intestate succession laws unless paternity has been established under the Utah Uniform Parentage Act.) Making a will provides an opportunity for the decedent to nominate a person to act as guardian and conservator for his children if there is no surviving parent.  A will also provides an opportunity to provide guidance and rules on how the estate should be used.  Contact Utah estate planning attorney Stephen Howard today to learn how a will and other estate planning tools may benefit you and your children.

Naming a guardian and conservator for minor children is important. But there are other important reasons to write a will or create a living trust, regardless of whether your children are minors or adults.

If you have minor children and die without leaving a will, then a Utah probate court will determine who will act as guardian and conservator for your children.  The guardian/conservator will be responsible for managing the minor child's estate. Upon reaching the age of 18, a child will receive whatever is left of his estate - with no restrictions. Either a living trust (established during your lifetime) or a testamentary trust (created through your will) can be used to provide guidelines and rules for how a child can use his inheritance, even beyond the age of 18.

Whether your children are minors or adults, their needs may not be equal.  Utah's intestate succession laws provide that each child inherits an equal share of the parent's estate.  If your children's needs are equal, then equal shares may be appropriate.  But if you have a child with special needs or unusual circumstances, you may want to make special provisions to ensure that their needs are taken care of.

If you are divorced, you may also want to consider whether your ex-spouse is the appropriate person to have control over the estate you are leaving to your minor children. If your ex-spouse survives you, the probate court will not normally appoint a guardian.  Instead, your ex-spouse will likely control how your estate will be used.  In many cases, this may work well.  In other cases, a person may want to use a living trust or a testamentary trust to name a trustee and establish guidelines for how the children may use their inheritance.

Regardless of your marital of family status, you may want to consider using a trust in addition to a will if your estate will be valued at more than $100,000 or if you own real estate (e.g. a home, condominium, or land).  A living trust can provide added flexibility to your estate plan, and can be an important step in avoiding the probate process.

Contacting a Utah Estate Planning Attorney in Salt Lake City

Contact us today to arrange for an initial consultation with Utah estate planning attorney Stephen Howard, and learn more about wills, trusts, and other estate planning tools.

Next Question:  Do I need a will if I am married with children?

Best Rating
Make a Payment to Your Account
Contact a Lawyer
** All fields are required. **
I accept the disclaimer below.
Disclaimer: No attorney-client relationship is established by the use of this form. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be submitted through this form. By clicking 'submit' I am only requesting that I be contacted for the purpose of obtaining legal services.

This form protected by reCAPTCHA.

Best Rating

Estate Planning Attorney Wills & Trusts Estate Planning - Setting up a good estate plan requires more than filling out a free online form or downloading software. But a good estate plan does not have to be overly expensive. A good attorney can guide you through the process of determining what estate planning tools are right for you and your family, and then create personalized estate planning documents to protect you and your family, and give you the peace of mind you deserve. Contact us today to start the process of setting up a personalized estate plan.

Estate Planning »
Criminal Defense Lawyer UtahCriminal Defense - A criminal conviction can carry serious consequences. If you are facing criminal prosecution in Utah, the assistance of an experienced criminal defense attorney can give you the best chance of raising a successful defense. Stephen Howard has years of experience successfully defending serious criminal charges ranging from capital murder to DUI. Contact us today to see what the right attorney can do for you.

Criminal Defense »
Utah Family Law Attorney Family Law - The legal issues involved in Utah family law cases are some of the most important and personal issues you may ever face. Whether you are facing divorce, trying to obtain guardianship for a loved one, making plans to adopt, addressing child custody, support, alimony, or other legal matters relating to your family, choosing the right attorney to help you is a critical decision. Contact us to get the help you need.

Family Law »
Injury and Accident Attorney in Utah Accidents & Injuries - An accident can severly affect your ability to work, your ability to care for and support your family. Injuries can leave you with life-long pain and disabilities. If you have been seriously injured or have been in an accident that was not your fault, you need an attorney who can help ensure that your rights are protected and that you receive compensation you are entitled to. Call now for an initial consultation.

Accidents & Injuries »
Home | Utah Legal Resources | Faq | Utah Estate Planning | Utah Criminal Defense | Contact Us

Serving Salt Lake, Davis, Weber, Utah, Cache, Tooele, Summit, Box Elder, Morgan, and Wasatch Counties - and all of Utah.

Stephen W. Howard is Utah attorney, practicing as part of the Canyons Law Group, LLC.
With offices in Salt Lake and Davis Counties, we are pleased to provide legal services to clients throughout Utah.
Call 801-449-1409 to arrange for a confidential initial consultation.

Stephen W. Howard, PC

The materials in this website are intended for informational purposes only, and are not legal advice. Viewing or responding to materials or information in this site does not create an attorney-client relationship. Read Full Disclaimer.