Utah Lawyer Stephen Howard
Call Stephen Howard Utah Attorney
Call Utah Lawyer Stephen Howard
Stephen W. Howard - Canyons Law Group
Call 801-449-1409 - Solutions Start HereSM
Utah Attorney Stephen Howard - Canyons Law Group

Canyons Law Group - Solutions Start HereSM
Utah Estate Planning Attorneys Salt Lake Davis WeberUtah Wills & Trusts AttorneyUtah Adoption Attorneys Salt Lake Weber DavisUtah Criminal Defense AttorneysFind the Right Utah Criminal Defense LawyerUtah Family Law Attorney Salt Lake Davis WeberUtah Divorce Attorney Salt Lake Weber DavisInjury and Accident Attorneys in Utah

How is title to real estate transferred in Utah after the death of a spouse?

Following the death of a husband or wife, the method of transferring title to real estate (land, home, condominium, etc.) in Utah can vary depending on how the property was owned. Some methods are relatively simple, and may not require the assistance of a real estate attorney. Others will require the filing of a probate action in the Utah court system, where you may need the assistance of a Utah probate attorney or estate planning lawyer.

Joint Tenancy:  One of the most common methods by which a husband and wife may jointly own real estate in Utah is under a joint tenancy (sometimes called a joint tenancy with right of survivorship).  Under a joint tenancy, when one of the owners dies, the surviving owner is automatically entitled to full ownership of the property.  To ensure a clean chain of title, it is best to record an appropriate affidavit with the county recorder.  The affidavit should be recorded in the county where the property is located, regardless of where the owner resides.

Trust:  Many married couples choose to establish a family trust or living trust to assist in simplifying the management of their affairs and estates following their death.  If real property was held under such a trust, the successor trustee (often the surviving spouse) can step in and continue to manage the property in the place of the deceased spouse.  Unless contested, no probate action or other court proceedings are typically required.

Tenants in Common:  If property is held as tenants in common, it will normally be necessary to petition a Utah probate court for an appointment as a personal representative or administrator in order to effect the transfer of title to real estate.  If the person died without a will, a petition for a finding of intestacy and issuance of letters of administration will be necessary.  If the person had a will, then the courts may issue letters testamentary verifying the executor's authority to act.  To transfer title to the property, letters of administration or letters testamentary must then be recorded in the county recorder's office along with the new deed.

For help in dealing with transfers of real property following the death of a spouse, contact us today to schedule an initial consultation.

Best Rating
Make a Payment to Your Account
Contact a Lawyer
** All fields are required. **
I accept the disclaimer below.
Disclaimer: No attorney-client relationship is established by the use of this form. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be submitted through this form. By clicking 'submit' I am only requesting that I be contacted for the purpose of obtaining legal services.

This form protected by reCAPTCHA.

Estate Planning Attorney Wills & Trusts Estate Planning - Setting up a good estate plan requires more than filling out a free online form or downloading software. But a good estate plan does not have to be overly expensive. A good attorney can guide you through the process of determining what estate planning tools are right for you and your family, and then create personalized estate planning documents to protect you and your family, and give you the peace of mind you deserve. Contact us today to start the process of setting up a personalized estate plan.

Estate Planning »
Criminal Defense Lawyer UtahCriminal Defense - A criminal conviction can carry serious consequences. If you are facing criminal prosecution in Utah, the assistance of an experienced criminal defense attorney can give you the best chance of raising a successful defense. Stephen Howard has years of experience successfully defending serious criminal charges ranging from capital murder to DUI. Contact us today to see what the right attorney can do for you.

Criminal Defense »
Utah Family Law Attorney Family Law - The legal issues involved in Utah family law cases are some of the most important and personal issues you may ever face. Whether you are facing divorce, trying to obtain guardianship for a loved one, making plans to adopt, addressing child custody, support, alimony, or other legal matters relating to your family, choosing the right attorney to help you is a critical decision. Contact us to get the help you need.

Family Law »
Injury and Accident Attorney in Utah Accidents & Injuries - An accident can severly affect your ability to work, your ability to care for and support your family. Injuries can leave you with life-long pain and disabilities. If you have been seriously injured or have been in an accident that was not your fault, you need an attorney who can help ensure that your rights are protected and that you receive compensation you are entitled to. Call now for an initial consultation.

Accidents & Injuries »
Home | Utah Legal Resources | Faq | Utah Estate Planning | Utah Criminal Defense | Contact Us

Serving Salt Lake, Davis, Weber, Utah, Cache, Tooele, Summit, Box Elder, Morgan, and Wasatch Counties - and all of Utah.

Stephen W. Howard is Utah attorney, practicing as part of the Canyons Law Group, LLC.
With offices in Salt Lake and Davis Counties, we are pleased to provide legal services to clients throughout Utah.
Call 801-449-1409 to arrange for a confidential initial consultation.

Stephen W. Howard, PC

The materials in this website are intended for informational purposes only, and are not legal advice. Viewing or responding to materials or information in this site does not create an attorney-client relationship. Read Full Disclaimer.